Start a new topic
Answered

Performance Monitoring, where can I adjust the thresholds?

"The performance counter "Performance SQL Server\SQLServer:General Statistics Logins" (SQLServer:General Statistics\Logins/sec) on host MyServer exceeded the threshold of 2, the current values are:​

Average: 3
Minimum: 3
Maximum: 4"

I receive a lot of emails with similar "performance counter" messages where do I set these thresholds?

Best Answer

All those thresholds are set in System Health packages which contain performance objects. The quickest way to find those packages is to do the following in the management console:

1. Select Packages, System Health on the ribbon
  2. Click Filter and select Performance / SNMP from the drop down
  3. This will show you only system health packages which contain a performance object

The event alert itself includes the name of the package (Performance SQL Server in this case) and the name of the counter SQLServer:General Statistics Logins which exceeded the threshold. So for this example, expand the Performance SQL Server package, click on Performance / SNMP and finally double-click on the SQLServer:General Statistics Logins counter. You can change the threshold on the Alert tab. Save the configuration when done.

Depending on your setup you may also need to click Save & Deploy or push the configuration to the remote host(s).

I hope this explains, let us know if you have more questions.

Answer

All those thresholds are set in System Health packages which contain performance objects. The quickest way to find those packages is to do the following in the management console:

1. Select Packages, System Health on the ribbon
  2. Click Filter and select Performance / SNMP from the drop down
  3. This will show you only system health packages which contain a performance object

The event alert itself includes the name of the package (Performance SQL Server in this case) and the name of the counter SQLServer:General Statistics Logins which exceeded the threshold. So for this example, expand the Performance SQL Server package, click on Performance / SNMP and finally double-click on the SQLServer:General Statistics Logins counter. You can change the threshold on the Alert tab. Save the configuration when done.

Depending on your setup you may also need to click Save & Deploy or push the configuration to the remote host(s).

I hope this explains, let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks! That knowledge should allow me to do the rest of the fine tuning I needed.

Login or Signup to post a comment