Start a new topic
Answered

Can EventSentry Light be used to monitor a phone server on my network?

We have a phone server that has powered off once overnight because of a power outage and a faulty UPS battery. Our phone provider does not have any sort of monitoring software that can alert me or them if or when the server goes down. We are trying to find something simple that will alert us if the phone server goes down, preferrably with a simple email.

Does this sound like something eventsentry light does/can do?

Best Answer

In its most simple form, EventSentry (Light) can ping an IP address and alert you if the remote host become unresponsive. Simply adding a host to EventSentry should provide this type of monitoring. Under Packages -> Event Logs -> Heartbeat Alerts you can find the filter rules that would send you an email alert when a host changes its ping status. The notification is sent to the Heartbeat Alert action by default (Actions -> Heartbeat Alerts).

There are additional ways to monitor a server more thoroughly, depending on the remote OS and the level of access you have. I'd be happy to provide more info if you could let us know.

I hope this helps.

Answer

In its most simple form, EventSentry (Light) can ping an IP address and alert you if the remote host become unresponsive. Simply adding a host to EventSentry should provide this type of monitoring. Under Packages -> Event Logs -> Heartbeat Alerts you can find the filter rules that would send you an email alert when a host changes its ping status. The notification is sent to the Heartbeat Alert action by default (Actions -> Heartbeat Alerts).

There are additional ways to monitor a server more thoroughly, depending on the remote OS and the level of access you have. I'd be happy to provide more info if you could let us know.

I hope this helps.

In addition to using Event Sentry ping, which is the first best option, even the most basic of phone systems have at least 2 settings you should set.

The first is ensuring the phone syncs to an NTP server.  We have seen plenty of cases where phone systems managed by phone people that default to midnight on reboot, causing the phone to not adhere to night  and day programming, causing day calls to go to after hours numbers.

The second is email reporting on errors, which should send an email on reboot.  For managed services, you should have at least two forms on monitoring for redundancy, so this extra step is worthwhile. Additionally is you have email to txt setup, the notification can go straight to a mobile phone.  And if you have your own email server, and use a global email alias, you change to whose mobile phone the alert goes.

Login or Signup to post a comment